Electrical fires are one of the top causes for both business and home fires. There are a range of reasons that electrical fires start from old wiring and improper extension cord use to overloaded power cords. Here are some helpful tips that can decrease the chances of electrical fires.
- Extension Cords: When using an extension cord, avoid running it underneath carpets or debris. A faulty or ripped extension cord could result in sparks which could catch fire with a carpet. Also keep any cribs, playpens or other baby furniture away from these electrical cords.
- Outlets & Plugs: If you have young children, you can install tamper resistant outlets. For older children, be sure to explain the dangers of playing with outlets or with placing items in them.
- Don’t Overload Outlets: Plugging too many electrical kids appliances(or appliances in general) into one outlet can cause a very bad situation. Especially in older homes, an overload can lead to an electrical fire.
- Keep any appliances such as hair dryers or radios away from any water sources such as sinks, tubs or toilets. A child could accidentally knock something.
- Keep a Christmas tree away from any TV sets or heating sources. A child could accidentally know a tree over and cause an electrical spark.