Electricity & Extension cords are wonderful but also dangerous tools that need to be used and monitored correctly. Every year there are accidents caused by older and ineffectively used extension cords. Before putting up your Christmas lights or working outside with that leaf blower, here are some tips to extension cord safety!
• Stay away from water: Be sure that your extension cord is never run through water or snow. If you are using these cords near a water source, use extreme caution.
• Keep out of the way: Be sure that the extension cord is not in your foot traffic. Also, be sure that your extension cord does not dangle off any furniture or trees as they could cause someone to trip.
• Keep them cool: As the energy passes through the extension cords, they generate heat that needs to be released. Because of this, be sure that your extension cord stay uncovered, never run through floors or walls, and unplug them immediately if you start to notice they are getting hot to the touch.
• They aren’t permanent: Extension cords should always be used for temporary situations. They should never be a substitute for permanent wiring. If you are in the need of electrical wiring outside, D.J. Richard Electric can help you out.
• Don’t over-use them: A single extension cord should not be used for more than one appliance.
Extension cords are extremely helpful and useful electrical tools. Use the correct safety and you won’t have to worry about the dangers that could prevail.
For more information or permanent electrical work, feel free to give D.J. Richard Electric a call at 781-545-1256.