One of the bigger risks that you can run into with an older home is the use of old electrical wiring.
Circuitry: We live in an area where many of the homes are quite old. As you can expect many of the wirings are also old. Even if you have yet to experience any problems, you should keep in mind that the use and demand of electricity has gone up significantly over the years. The original owners of your home were not using cooling systems for the whole house, or charging phones, and computers while also powering the dishwasher. An overload of the circuits in the home can be dangerous to your home, family, property and appliances.
Degrading Materials: Even if your wiring system was designed to handle all of the demands, the materials will still degrade over time. As your wire insulation & other materials degrade, the overall system becomes unsafe.
Fire Risks: As the outdated circuits and degraded materials can lead to blow fuses and other issues, one of the largest real concern with old wiring is the risk of a home fire. If you are unsure of the current condition of your electrical system, but understand your home is old, it would be beneficial to get the system evaluated.